Thursday, April 28, 2005

Desired Travel Destination No. 1: New Zealand

**FLYING CONDITIONS: Foggy**

I really, really, really hope that I can get there someday.



Fjiordland


Milford National Park


Cathedral Bay


Koru or Silver Fern

The koru is the birth of a frond on a ponga fern. Also known as the ‘silver fern’, it has become a national symbol. Ponga grow wild, and are found in moist bush areas throughout New Zealand.
Photo credit: Ted Scott


This is a Koru pendant that I own. The koru represents new life, new beginnings, growth, movement...
You can purchase one here: www.aotearoa.co.nz/robertson/singlekoru1.htm


Maori were the first inhabitants of Aotearoa/New Zealand (meaning ‘Land of the Long White Cloud’). After arriving from their ancestral Polynesian homeland of Hawaiki, probably about 1000 years ago, they set up a thriving society based on the iwi (tribe), which flourished for hundreds of years.

According to Maori, the first explorer to reach New Zealand was Kupe. Using the stars and ocean currents as his navigational guides, he ventured across the Pacific on his waka hourua (voyaging canoe) from his ancestral Polynesian homeland of Hawaiki. It is thought that Kupe made landfall at the Hokianga Harbour in Northland, around 1000 years ago.


Oh, to see this in person.


There are more sheep in New Zealand than humans.


New Zealand's first settlers, the Maori, named the kiwi bird for the sound of its chirp - kiwi, kiwi, kiwi! This flightless bird, about the size of a domestic hen, has an extremely long beak and plumage that is more like hair than feathers. New Zealanders have adopted this nocturnal, flightless and endearing creature as their national emblem.

7 comments:

David Lim said...

You have a cool blog! I will be starting another new blog soon and your blog gave me some good inspiration!

My login name is buykiwi with gmail.com, so I hope to get a blog with buykiwi

Cheer and keep up the good work! Happy blogging!

http://davidinauckland.blogspot.com

wandering visitor said...

hello!

just stumbled onto this site because was looking at some John Singer Sargent's paintings (isn't he the best?)

I love your pictures in this post!! :)

Anonymous said...

Kia ora from Auckland, NZ.

Lovely blog. Great photos.

And really great that you link back to our Aotearoa.co.nz site, thank you.

When you do make it to Aotearoa, NZ, do pop in to pick up your silver koru,
www.aotearoa.co.nz/robertson/singlekoru1.htm

kind regards
Goina Thedinga
director
Aotearoa.co.nz

Xanthe ! said...

Don't dream about it.. Do it! We did and it is as wonderful as it looks!!

Sunshine Coast Hotels said...

I really love your post most specially the photos. It attract me more, now I'll be visiting one of the places in your article and that's New Zealand. Thanks for sharing.

aa said...

As I write this post—longhandOffice 2010in a spiral notebook—I’m 20,000 feet above eastern Washington, having Microsoft Office 2010just crossed above the Cascades on my return flight Microsoft wordto Chicago. I visited Seattle for the weekend to Office 2007and I have known each other for 20 years now. They Microsoft Officehad a lovely ceremony, and the trip in general was fantastic.Microsoft Office 2007In the 13 years since I left Seattle, I’ve Office 2007 keyvisited six or seven times, and I always return to wherever has Office 2007 downloadOffice 2007 Professionalbecome home with mixed feelings about the place. It Outlook 2010both alarms and pleases me to see howMicrosoft outlookthat once-familiar areas seem almost foreign. ForMicrosoft outlook 2010neighborhoods have changed, to the point Windows 7 as have cookie-cutter, here-today-and-gone-tomorrow nightclubs that cater to the shiny shirt crowd.

Alice said...

Hello Dear,

While looking for the potential link partners, I came across your website and found it relevant to my theme and I feel that exchanging links would be beneficial for both of us and helping towards increasing both of our website's ranks in search engine positioning.

I will provide you link on my website at:

http://www.sz130.com/ PR-5
http://www.jacksonvilleboatclubs.com/ pr-5
http://www.532spoleto.com/ pr-4
http://www.kanadianking.com/ pr-3
http://www.northoftoronto.com/
http://www.airlineticketsfor.com/
http://www.cheapairfarefor.com/


If you are interested in this Link Exchange Deal, please add my below given link details.

Title : Cheap flights
Url : http://www.globester.com/
Description :Spend less and get more with Globester.com. Your one-stop shop for Cheap flights and more, we bring you more with every deal.




Regards,
Alice
alicewang24@gmail.com