Monday, August 29, 2005

Favorite Books No. 1

**FLYING CONDITIONS: Mostly Sunny**

The Witch of Blackbird Pond
by Elizabeth George Speare

Years ago, when I was around 9 or so, I found this book among the collection of assorted books my family owned. I don't know who originally purchased it, but I was intrigued. I ALWAYS had a fascination with "spooky" things, so the title called to my imagination. I expected the book to be more supernatural in nature, which of course it is not, but I fell in love with the story immediately.

As a child, I always felt different from others. I was artsy, dramatic of mind and liked strange things. I felt an affinity with the free-spirited main character of Kit, who was an outsider in the strict, Puritan, 1670's community of Whethersfield, Connecticut.

Kit's struggles and eventual happiness let me know that it was ok to be different and that I could be happy doing so. Furthermore, my love for this book was sealed because it took place a time period that fascinated me - late 17th century America, the era of the Witch Trials.

In short, I was and have remained bewitched!


Wethersfield, Connecticut - 'Ye Most Auncient Towne'


The Buttolph-Williams House, inspiration for the Wood Home


Inside the Buttolph-Williams House



Town of Wethersfield, CT

Whethersfield Historical Society
Historic Wethersfield

No comments: