Sunday, February 25, 2007

Daydreaming of Lavender

**FLYING CONDITIONS: Foggy; Drizzle**



This time of year is always rough for me. I've got cabin fever in the worst way. All I want to do is get outside and start planting things in the ground, and I can't. The weather here has begun to change, but Old Man Winter is desperately making his last stand. Today, he's brought freezing rain. Hopefully tomorrow it will be just rain and it will clear up the snow, which long ago lost it's fluffiness and it's charm.

My first plans for Springtime involve the planting of daffodils in our back yard. We have two Honey Locust trees that I think would look lovely with a bed of daffodils below them.

Next on the list (or as soon as it reaches the nursery) is the planting of lavender. I've always loved lavender, but I never knew how easy it was to grow until my husband and I began our garden experiments at the old house. It's easy and charming, aromatic and perennial, which has caused me to be doubly in love with it. It's always welcoming and it makes me feel like I'm "home."

The landscaping here, at our new home, is mature, but has been ill-maintained and looks it. I can't wait to bring everything back to life and I'll start with lavender.

No comments: